Monday, August 1, 2016

Monday--

Welcome to August. I have said it before but might as well say it again: the time has just flown by. It seems like only a day or so ago that I was ordering seeds and planning what to plant where and now I am harvesting beans, herbs, tomatoes and cucumbers. I spent the weekend doing that and a couple of housekeeping chores. We plan to can tomato sauce later this week and do more pickles. It looks like my first efforts at pressure canning have worked--the seals are holding so far. I have only had one seal fail in the water bath canner. That one is now ripening as refrigerator pickles. I have more harvesting and more housekeeping chores planned today.

I ignored most of the news as much as possible over the weekend. I never watched more than one or two episodes of any soap opera and that more than 20 years ago. I have been annoyed over the latest trend in the TV series I had liked to emulate the soap operas but I never expected our politics to descend to that level. Most of the coverage has been of The Donald doing as The Donald always does--acting badly and saying stupid shit. If the news broadcasts were really about news this story would have died four days ago. The other major news stories were the flooding in the east and the balloon crash in Texas and, of course, they have been played for all the drama that can be squeezed out of them.

Found this in my Mail box from Teagan's Political Wire. About sums up my feelings.
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 4.48.01 PM

John Beckett has an excellent post on the election and he is absolutely on target. No candidate is a savior in a year when too many of us are looking for a savior. No candidate can fix anything--especially when it is all too likely that they won't have congressional or senatorial help. 

No comments: