Friday, September 8, 2017

I don't know if or how much I will get done in the gardens. Right now the skies are overcast.  The weather report says just cloudy--no rain. I started four more cuttings from the English lavender before harvesting the large plant. I got four trays of lavender and put in two of spearmint. I saw some nice sprigs of lemon mint I want to put in vermiculite to root (I hope). The hibiscus seems to be adjusting well to being inside. I don't know if it will continue blooming after the buds it already has are spent. That area gets bright during the winter being on the south side of the house. Whether it is bright enough I don't know--yet. The lemon verbena looks good also after I transplanted and trimmed it. Hope it stays that way.

Oh, well! the clouds have simply made this such a gloomy day all my ambitions for gardening have evaporated. We are supposed to have sun tomorrow so I think that sounds like a better day to get outside.

Kunstler has a take on the impending arrival of Irma in Florida scheduled for sometime Sunday. I had been thinking much the same things after Harvey. Considering how much of New Orleans still hasn't been rebuilt I expect a similar patten in Texas and in Florida. The insurance companies will do what every shenanigans they feel they can get away with to mitigate their losses. The personal losses are going to be even worse because so may individuals were not insured. Kunstler wondered how many people returning to a complete wipe out will drift somewhere else. Again New Orleans after Katrina is instructive. The city stands at three-quarters of the population it had before Katrina. Houston's just over 2million might be reduced by 600k.

No comments: