Friday, September 22, 2017

Well, the autumnal equinox has arrived; welcome to fall. Our weather right now is more like August than the end of September. The last two days saw records set with temps of 92 and 94 in Chicago. We are expecting 90+ again today and for the next two days. The trees are developing their fall colors about a month early so it does look like fall. One blogger noted a day or two ago she was behind putting in her fall garden--as always because it is too hot in July and she is busy harvesting and preserving in August which is when the experts say to plant for the fall. The weather nowadays is so unpredictable your fall plants might bake or freeze before yielding anything.

According to Ronni Bennett at Time Goes By today is also Falls Prevention Day. She has some good points to make and some useful links. I have been really lucky in that regard. I have fallen twice here at home and once at work long before I retired. Though I no longer have cats which caused my first fall I am careful on the stairs where that fall took place. (In case you wondered, the cats lived out their very long cat lives still loved and cared for here. I just became more watchful of where they were and where my feet were.) We replaced the old door mat which caused my second fall after the rain made it really, really slick. The new one provides much surer footing and, again, I have become more careful about stepping out the door. In the last case I was in a rush, stubbed my foot on a curb and fell hard face first onto the sidewalk. The key there, which didn't come until after I retired, was to not rush and to not let others rush you. Any one of those could have done me serious injury and, worse, I didn't have any health insurance that would have covered those expenses. I simply couldn't afford it and none of my jobs offered it. Lesson from all that: be aware of where you are and of who and what is around you. That would have prevented all three falls.

No comments: