Wednesday, September 20, 2017

I've been busy cleaning up our sewing/plant starting/storage room so haven't paid much attention to blogging or news.

I have been reading stuff but nothing to comment on. Politics is as usual--totally insane. It is hard to comment on something when, in five minutes, the situation changes. Some unnamed "high official" says the administration has agreed to some action (or whatever) that appears to change their policy/position/etc. Then some other unnamed official or, sometimes, #42 himself comes back (or tweets) that "no, no--they didn't say/mean/imply that." The fog of innuendo and uncertainty is so thick we can't see the abyss at our collective feet.

At least, by ignoring (or not wasting electronic blips) on the mess I do manage to get other things done.

Just finished reading John Michael Greer's Retro Future along with a couple of fiction re-reads simply because I get to the point where I am too tired to think and re-reading is easier than reading the first time. I am working on Ugo Bardi's Seneca Effect which fleshes out a theme he has been chewing on in his blog, Cassandra's Legacy for sometime--how complex systems (empires, societies, economies) collapse. Also, pecking at Frederick Lewis Allen's Since Yesterday having finished Only Yesterday couple of weeks ago. I had read most of both years ago for college history courses but now I can savor them. I also have two more of his books in the queue for later.

I haven't done much about the garden except think. Though the heliotrope is pretty and has a nice, though faint scent I won't repeat it next year. It is a very toxic plant and I would rather not have it in the gardens. Nor will I repeat the mosquito plant. I plan to put in lemon grass and continue planting lemon thyme and lemon balm which mosquitos and other such insects don't like much either. I was thinking about repotting the geraniums to bring inside but I consolidated the plant space upstairs under the lights so don't have the room. I will put in new ones next year. Those double yellows are really making a show now as are the petunias. The hot weather really knocked them down for a bit.

No comments: