Tuesday, June 20, 2023

June 19

 Welcome to Juneteenth. That is one of the details my history classes in high school never talked about. One of the many. For example, The Emancipation Proclamation never freed all slaves in the United States. It was directed at the states "in rebellion" at the time the proclamation was issued. At that time the Federal government had no power to enforce it. And it didn't affect any slaves held outside those areas. That issue was taken care of in the 13th, 14, and 15th amendments passed after the war was over. And those were never covered either. I didn't learn about any of that until I was working on my second bachelor's degree--in history. It is a shame that, for some reason, certain (especially some prominent politicians and others) unpleasant facts about our history can't be acknowledged or examined. I thought that when Princeton University decided to drop (long-dead) President Woodrow Wilson's name from a building. A lot of people  held the same racial views. Why not note that and leave the name alone. I could continue but I will let you think about the matter.

We had a quiet weekend with visit from a nephew and his wife. We hadn't seen them for quite a while so it was nice to reconnect. They are soon to become grandparents. I remember when they got married and the birth of the oldest son who is the soon to be father. My how the generations fly by.

We haven't seen a clear blue sky for some time. Today isn't any better except it is sunny. I walked out on the patio and saw something I hadn't ever seen here. After a rain, and we have seen several days of good rain lately, the plants usually are nice and clean. Not lately. Instead I saw where the rain deposited dirt/dust/whatever on the leaves.

So, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas has owned the libs again. I wonder how many construction workers will die or his "win."

I have listened to the news reports at the "critics" denouncing The Former Guy and all I can say is where the hell were you at the beginning of his administration. Bill Barr dutifully worked for the retiree in Florida until just after the 2020 election and then quietly left. Not a word until now. Most of the RepTHUGlicans on the campaign trail content themselves with wishy-washy pseudo-critical expressions hoping they don't alienate TFG's base of support. Or those who recognize hypocrisy.

I just finished reading the Becker Hospital Review article on where its experts saw medical care going in the next hundred years. I was drawn in by the contention in the headline that "hospitals will be a 'rare exception.'" I noticed several things about all the prognostications. First, they all predict a medical establishment dominated by AI. Second, they all expect the expansion of high tech, advanced medical devices and techniques. Third, they all see the pervasive presence of "tele-medicine." Fourth, NONE mentioned the COST. My take: all of the trends the experts described depend on an infrastructure that may or may not be available, like high speed internet extending to all parts of the country, a supply chain that delivers what they need when they need it, and people or institutions that have the wherewithal to pay for it. I am very skeptical about all of that. 

No comments: