Saturday, June 3, 2023

June 2, 3

We had heavy, monsoonal type, rain yesterday. Given the heat over the last week the thunderstorm wasn't unexpected. The heat is giving my plants a problem. I lost the rosemary and I have to bring the lavender inside. I have never had a problem with either plant before but the high temperatures have come earlier and higher that usual. The hibiscus is also showing some damage but I hope they will recover. I am thinking about how I might rearrange the pots so that the plants will be in cooler spots on the patio. The Temperature on the patio has already reached 80 and it is only a few minutes after 8am. No work outside today.

Caitlin Johnstone has an interesting take on The Former Guy and his possible reelection. To a certain extent she is right: TFG isn't awful because he is so different and extreme but because he is so much like previous presidents. There are times when I wish time travel were a reality so I could go fifty years into the future and, if we still have a literate society, read a couple of history books analyzing our times. How many of the policies TFG's administration pursued actually did come from previous administrations. However, his administration was far more extreme in the application of those policies and amending them to be more heartless, brutal, and cruel. But a theme runs through her account which I think most of us don't recognize: there is an inertia in human societies just as there is in physics. Trends continue in their direction until something influences a change of direction. The more powerful the trend the more powerful the influence must be to change it. Many of the writers I read identify trends they think they see and where they think the stresses in our economy/politics/society will move the trend. Whether they are right (and they all can't be right because often their prognostications aren't compatible) only time will tell.

03********************************************************************

We won't be going to the seasonal market today as we had planned. Instead I am rearranging my patio gardens to hopefully make it more friendly to my plants. I hope the local predictions are right and we stay in the 80s. That would give us and the plants a reprieve. I started really early and have a part of the work done with the table that functions as a potting bench moved out and the area swept.

Well, I guess we will be able to make the opening day of the market. I just finished with the rearrangement, sweeping, cutting some grass poking up under the fence and culling my collection of pots. I have a long habit of keeping the plastic pots the transplants come in. Every now and again I get so many that they exceed my space to store them. I arranged the buckets in a "key hole" formation so I can reach all of the plants. Have to go out and water things now.


No comments: