Tuesday, June 18, 2024

June 18

 Damn but the heat yesterday was brutal. We had a number of errands and  were wilting by the time we got back. We hadn't planned to go out today but the lease renewal arrived. We decided to take care of that and pay rent today. We did our grocery shopping as well. Thanks to a pulse of rain the temperature stayed moderate while we were out. The weather forecasts predict temperatures at or above 90 for the rest of the week. Unless something unexpected appears we will be staying home.

Tom Englehardt linked to this story in the introduction to the John Berger guest post this morning. The morning news yesterday showed a segment of Trump's speech to the rally. He mentioned that his security people told him that the heat was dangerous and his audience was in danger. He asked "what about me?!!" and went on, in a moment in truth-telling, said "I don't care about you. I just want your votes." What a selfish, self-centered piece of crap. The temperature hit around 111F.

I went out on the patio very early--as soon as I could see clearly--and watered the plants. I didn't do it yesterday because everything looked good and the soil was moist to my touch. I didn't want to trust that we would get enough rain to do any good. The last two pulses of rain barely moistened the plants and patio.

No comments: