Tuesday, May 30, 2023

May 30

Another sunny day--at least so far. We have errands to do so we'll see how much reading I get through.

Heather Cox Richardson posted a piece that included excerpts from a pamphlet the War Department (nowadays titled the Defense Department) distributed to military personnel in Europe in 1943 defining Fascism. Reading through it I kept seeing trends in our current turmoil.

Well, Moscow evidently experienced a drone attack which the Russian media  claimed did little damage. The discussion on the morning news/talk show I was listening to left me with a number of questions. First, is there any evidence about who actually launched the drones? I didn't hear any. Second, is there any evidence that whoever launched the drones is attached or under any control of the Ukrainians? I didn't see any. As they talked I remembered a couple of stories that makes me wonder. A couple of sabotage incidents were filmed by people who claimed to be Russian dissidents--like the bombing of military planes in eastern Siberia. 

Another interesting discussion on the same show: more high school graduates are deciding against college. Instead, they are looking for apprenticeships or mentorships. Most cite the exorbitant cost of a college education. I can agree with that assessment.

Improve the News has a piece on the vigilante movement in Haiti. This shouldn't really surprise anyone given how ineffective establishment organizations have been in curbing the gangs. It is interesting that the current (unelected) Prime Minister insisted the government needs tanks, helicopters, drones and other high tech toys. I would wonder about who the government would actually target if they got those resources.

No comments: