Friday, January 9, 2009

Hi, Everyone.  I would say good morning but we are expecting the first wave of snow from that system that slammed the Pacific Northwest.  It should end sometime late tomorrow after dumping between 4 and 8 inches of snow. Plus what ever lake effect snow the backside of the system will produce.  Needless to say, we are hibernating till Sunday.

I found this little item from FishOutOfWater, guest blogging at Shakesville, on my Google alerts this morning.  In their zeal to protect us from unhealthy Chinese toys, our Congress Critters formulated a sledge hammer law that would put small craftspeople making handmade, one-of-a-kind toys out of business by requiring expensive third party testing.  Various individuals, organizations and on-line outlets (like Etsy) are spearheading the protest to get exemptions for handcrafters.  The links are on the Shakesville blog entry and it has an interesting personal story from the author.  His daughter opened a toy store that sells toys made by local crafters, many of whom are retirees.

Frugal Families asks if the new law will effect yard sales also.  I read over the law and it has an interesting catch-22.  Resellers (thrift shops, second hand stores, or yard salers) are not required to get third party testing done.  However, if they sell anything that exceeds the legal limits, they are liable for criminal and/or civil penalties.  

Chris In Paris at Americablog says that China is slowing down its purchases of American debt.  I have been wondering what would happen if China and others who bought our debt stopped.  We might get the chance to find out.  Look at what has happened in our economy since consumer debt started drying up.  Perhaps our Federal Government will find out first hand what those of us lower on the economic food chain have already found out.  It can be real painful living within your means.  Then there was this little item at MSNBC this morning.  Amid all the talk of tax cuts there are proposals to increase taxes on cigarettes (.39/pack), cigars, and perhaps sugary soft drinks.  I wouldn't be surprised if the alcohol taxes were raised as well.  Why not hit all vices at once?

Well, I have made it through all my Google alerts and all the blogs I follow.  I think I will move on now to doing something else.  Maybe I will transfer that vest pattern I have been thinking about.  See you next time.


1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

Hmmmmm . . . Our snow alerts have been cancelled.

Or why not incentives for Mattell, et al, to make their toys here so. Wait a minute!!! That would provide jobs so people could work and afford toys. And it would make sense!!!! Yeah, sense -- that word that's become obsolete in gov't and business!!!

When are they going to figure at that taxing morality won't cure it? Neither will legislating it.
I like my vices and the Morality Police better stay the hell away from me. Last time I checked I was supposed to be able to decide what contributed to my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. Silly me.