Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wet Wednesday.

I won't get anything done in the gardens today because it is too wet.  I am not complaining.  We need the rain badly.  And I don't have anything pressing out there: cleaning up, pulling the few remaining tender plants.  But we aren't expecting a freeze in the next five days.  So what is still in the garden?  Four peppers, the hibiscus, a whole bunch of strawberries, tansy, painted lady daisy (pyrethrum), purple hyssop, bee balm, begonia, sage, oregano, spearmint, peppermint, foxglove, lemon thyme and pineapple sage which is finally blooming.  The begonia, pineapple sage, and peppers are much too tender to overwinter.  I had thought of trying to keep the begonia as a houseplant but it makes a mess when the blossoms drop.  I will look for a different one next year.  Of the more hardy plants I want to move the spearmint to a new home and all will get some protection against the cold.


No comments: