Thursday, September 24, 2009

Good Morning, All. Now that I have played with that newly found method of sharing blogs I find interesting I will go on with other matters.

Here is an interesting article I found on Grist this morning. At first thought, one might be inclined to dismiss this as far fetched. But what struck us is a personal observation. The heaviest people in our family are those under 50. My youngest brother and sister (the youngest of our boomers at age 50 and 48) are the heaviest in my generation. Of my mother's five grandchildren two of five are obese, one is overweight tending toward obesity, two are normal weight but one is now starting to gain. One of the grandsons underwent a gastric bypass operation as a last resort to try to control his weight and that case is very interesting. To qualify for the operation the patients have to spend at least a year on a doctor supervised diet/exercise program. If they can loose weight on that program they are not accepted for bypass. My nephew not only failed to lose any weight at all during the program but actually gained more weight. The doctors gave him an exception to the normal one year time limit cutting it off at six months and proceeded to the operation. Worse--the great-grandchildren appear to be following their parents' pattern.

And worse yet--take a look at the suspected culprits and see if you can figure out a way to effectively eliminate them. I can't.

No comments: