Saturday, September 24, 2011

Good morning to you all.  Again I had nothing much to say yesterday.  I think I am going to have to broaden my horizon a bit and find some new blogs.  My current list is heavy on politics and economics and I am very tired of the idiocy in both areas.  I must get off my ass and get some gardening done.  Burpees has shipped the blueberry plants and I need a space to put them.  I hope they do well here.  I may have to run out between the rain drops since occasional showers are forecast for today and the next couple.

As you can see, Lois, I agree with you on the issue of politics and the news.  The time spend bumming around was good for my soul.  With the gardening season winding down I will have to schedule more of those segments of me-time.

Rain, at Rainy Day Things, does a fine job again of expressing my frustrations and anger at what has become of this country.  I feel that I am slowly (or sometimes not so slowly) being written out of the American Citizenry.  If you don't make more that $100k a year somehow you are no longer a real American.  If you accepted the withdrawal of 4%+ (it has changed over time) of the money you make in return for a promise of a pittance from Social Security when you finally reach retirement age (which has also increased over time), you are a goddamn fool and parasite not a true American.  I could go on but I don't want to raise my blood pressure.

Yves Smith at Naked Capitalism has some very discerning comments on the Georgia Works program that President Obama has touted as part of his program to get people working again.  I have never cared much for the notion of unpaid or poorly paid internships.  They have always been touted as a route to employment for people wanting to get a foot in the door.  Evidently the statistics aren't as promising as the President thinks.  Also the amount he wants to give in 'incentives' for the states and companies participating makes each job a rather expensive and the workers gets very little of it.  The claim by some supporters that the program would keep workers 'tethered' to the job market who might otherwise drop out.  Serfdom did that nicely once upon a very barbaric time.

No comments: