Monday, January 8, 2018

We had a nasty mix of precipitation over night. The temperature was just high enough for sleet, freezing rain and snow. Good that we don't have to be out and about until later when some of this might have a chance of melting.

I got the Baker Creek seeds Saturday: black-eyed susan vine, malabar spinach, perpetual spinach, red calendula and a free-bee of an interesting cherry tomato. I have started my seed starting calendar and will soon start my new garden map. The Burpee order should come in two parts with the sunflower seeds sent separately from the bare root strawberries which should come in late April or early May. Right now everything is frozen so all I can do is think about what I will be doing in four months.

We commented on the new meteorological terms we have heard for the first time--like "bombogenesis" and "bomb cyclone". Grist says we should "get used to it." That situation at JFK International Airport is mind boggling. Over the last five years or so I have read about numerous transportation snarls that were unthinkable ten years or more ago. I remember flying out of Denver just before a massive storm hit as a blizzard. The airlines and FAA rerouted planes and curtailed operations west of us but the airline agents put me on an alternative flight when the plane I was supposed to board was delayed and held the connecting flight for fifteen minutes so I and my fellow passengers could catch it. My suitcase was delayed but delivered to my hotel the next day. None of the chaos and callous customer (dis)service of recent years. It is nice to blame a frozen pipe but 1) they had problems even before the pipe burst and 2) whatever their contingency plans were they need to be seriously rethought.

No comments: