Sunday, March 31, 2013

Hi, all.  It is a nice sunny Thursday.  We have already done our mile on the Y track.  Now that we are mostly over the colds that have sidelined us for the last month we are trying to get our exercise program back on track.  I was totally surprised yesterday when the grow light I ordered arrived.  I got the e-male telling me it had been shipped just a bit earlier in the morning.  I have it put together and in place upstairs.  It is working nicely.  In a bit I will start moving plants up there.  A large bit of the snow has melted but I still have ice on four of the large containers and three of the 5 gal buckets.  I really hope the  weather people are right and the temperatures will stay above the freezing mark for the next week.  I wouldn't even mind some rain--it will help get rid of the ice.

*********************************************************************************

Hello, on what the weather people say will be a pretty Good Friday.  Hope it is good for all of you.  Let's see if I find anything worth the trouble of commenting.

*********************************************************************************

Yesterday was indeed a very pretty Good Friday.  And today looks to be even better.  The temperature my get close to 60.  I certainly hope so.  We were looking at our garden containers and discussing their condition.  The biggest ones are getting rather fragile.  The manufacturers never intended they be used as I have used them--as planters in a rather brutal environment.  I can't complain.  They have done good service for five or more years.  The logistics of changing them out is going to be complicated, to say the least.  Oh, well--the gardens have been a work in progress since I started them.

*********************************************************************************

Hope you are all having a pleasant Easter.  We have rain but temperatures in the mid 40s.  A good bit of the ice on the garden containers has melted but it will be a good while yet, if we get above freezing temps, before I can do any work out there.  We are planning some major changes in the gardens.  At least three of the largest containers need to be changed.  They have become fragile over time exposed to conditions they weren't designed to withstand.  But they provided large pots with minimal expense.  We will be looking for more of the same kind to replace them.  That will be a logistical problem since the current containers are too fragile to move out.  We will have to empty them at least partially before moving them out and putting new ones in.  I also want to raise them off the cement a bit to help prevent the kind of icing we experienced this year.

No comments: