Friday, March 16, 2012

Good morning to you all.  It looks like we will have another day of 70s.  Good for working on the containers.  I did get the lemon balm split and repotted yesterday and started the peppers along with some lettuce and some more spinach.  I want to get the herbs and flowers started.  I moved the mint cuttings and the rosemary out to the greenhouse.  They both appear to enjoy the stronger light.  It is so hard to remember that we are still in mid-March and restrain the gardening urge.  It feels like I have procrastinated too long but I am really right on schedule.  I have a lot of clean-up and some rearrangements planned.

Another entry in the "Oh, what weird weather we are having" file: tornadoes formed in southwestern Michigan overnight.  This is the earliest for tornadoes that far north.

I like this doctor's prescription for Medicare.  I especially like his second prescription--stop focusing on 'low-yield' medicine.  Mom and I have noticed how over the last few years more and more people are considered 'at risk' of high blood pressure at what used to be considered very normal readings.  And once someone is considered at risk there is a pressure to do something.  I wonder if in 20 or 30 years we will come to the same conclusion 'experts' have come to with respect to prostate cancer: most men diagnosed with it don't require treatment.  Most often the cancer grows so slowly that the patient would die of another old age ailment before they did of the cancer.  But considering the uproar that erupted after the FDA changed its recommendations on breast cancer screening the greatest problem with implementing the prescription might be the American public and its expectations.

No comments: