Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thursday.

Yesterday was a good day for gardening and I will get more done today.  After we get a few errands done, that is.  I planted the strawberry tower planted with four Quinault and three Loran.  Still have six Tristan and three Loran to put somewhere.  The roses spend most of yesterday and all night out on the patio.  I plan to put them in their permanent places.  Still nothing from the hibiscus but I haven't seen anything from the ones the city put in the park and other places along streets.  I don't expect much of the borage plants I started inside so after I put them in I scattered some of the seeds I saved last year.  I did the same with the cypress vine seeds.  The ones started earlier this year sprouted but failed to thrive.

Finished Gene Everlasting: A Contrary Farmer's Thoughts on Living Forever by Gene Logsdon.  I have enjoyed his posts on the Contrary Farmer blog and the book didn't disappoint.

I don't know if any of you out there read Granny's Family Garden as I have for a goodish while now.  She recently documented her battle with cancer and how her family stepped up to plant the garden she no longer had the strength for.  Sad to report she lost that fight.  I, for one, will miss her posts.

I read this and thought of the banquet scene in the Dune miniseries where the Spacing Guild representative asks Dr. Kynes, "Fremen drink the blood of their dead, don't they, Dr. Kynes?"  To which Kynes answeres, "Not just the blood but all of a man's water.  The human body is 70% water and surely a dead man no longer needs it."  Whereupon the questioner, squeamishly, puts his glass of water back on the table.  The truth is every drop of water has probably passed through thousands of humans (and other animals) during its existence.  Those who are upset about proposals to purify sewage water might try buying bottled water but then that water is just like all other water in the world.  Most of it comes straight out of some municipal tap.

After reading some of the assholery that masqueraded as a judicial decision from the Supreme Court on the issue of public prayer I rather expected this.  Fundamentalist Christianists insist everyone stay respectfully silent while they invoke their Deity but refuse to be respectful of other's invocations of other Deities.  Religious freedom for thee but not for me.  I guess they want to take us back to seventeenth century Salem where Quakers were as likely to be hanged as witches.

No comments: