Saturday, April 14, 2018

Only in the mid-40s today and rain so my gardening is on hold until after this system passes. The strawberries are all potted with the last of them in the little greenhouse. I hope that will protect them from the coldest temps which should come Sunday and Monday nights. I have three areas to cover tomorrow--or today if I get a dry spell. My back is thankful for the rest the weather is providing. As I noted I wasn't expecting the strawberry roots to be delivered for another week or two and wasn't really ready. Plus I wasn't expecting to dig out four pots that have cracked or are in danger of doing so. My patio really is a brutal environment for everything--an oven when the weather turns hot and a freezer during the cold months. Once I get all the fragile/broken containers dug out and replaced with 5-gal buckets the whole garden space will be more manageable. As various joints are reminding me, I am not 25 any more.

The attitude displayed, though not really surprising, pisses me off. I am very skeptical about modern medicine. The costs of the treatments is mind-boggling. I don't know how many ads I have seen for what I call "helper" drugs. Those are drugs patients are supposed to take with another drug that isn't as effective as it used to be or as it was promised to be. Or drugs that, as the ad says, are shown "effective" when taken "with the highest dose of (whatever other drug) plus diet and exercise." And then there are the drugs that may cause the very symptoms they are designed to alleviate. What the article tells me (and what I have come to realize over the years) is that we aren't people/patients we are "income streams" and medicine is an industry that hides its primary focus on its bottom line by pretending to care for people/patients. Goldman Sachs analyst simply stated the case with brutal honesty.

Another good History Unfolding article from David Kaiser.

Ehrenreich's article and book have sparked a number of articles along the some line. This one is from Yves Smith at Naked Capitalism.




No comments: