Thursday, June 7, 2018

It is overcast right now. The forecast calls for spotty showers--maybe. All of the plants I put in yesterday are doing well so far. I have some more to move but that will wait until tomorrow.

Errands are done. I found a beautiful dahlia and a nice tomato. The rosella tomato has been struggling for a while. I think it is time to put it out of its misery and mine. We did our shopping today to combine errands.

This is a month for getting pissed with insurance--any insurance. First it was the shock of what the CVS/Aetna merger did to what Mom pays for her prescription. She basically told Aetna to take a hike. Technically she couldn't cancel before the options period in October but she notice their policy of canceling if the customer didn't pay the monthly premium. So she has refused to either use the insurance or to pay the premium. She is out of that now but it took a bit. Now the car insurance came in and they have increased the premium by over $300 because of a fender bender last fall that caused less then $200 in damage. And that increase would be in effect for the next five years. She hadn't had an accident of any kind in more than 30 years. I can see somewhere in the near future a car-less existence.

As someone who has both taught history and read a lot of history, I cringe at the abysmal ignorance of some of the people associated with our government.

I just saw an interesting headline: A New Problem Weed Arrives in Manitoba Fields. I won't link to it but it is part of a continuing saga I have followed for several years now. The "weed" is Round-Up ready canola in fields where none had been planted and, in some cases, had never been planted. Monsanto is sending workers to hand pick the "weed" I remember a similar situation in the U.S. Pacific northwest which cost the farmer income because the buyer refused the shipment because of GMO contamination. And in that case the "weed" was a variety of experimental grain from a test plot discontinued at least a decade before. No one, to my knowledge, ever explained how the contamination occurred.

No comments: