Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday--

Good morning, on this first full day of Spring.

Perusing the internet I found this article on Vermont's enforcement of its GMO labeling law. I have a couple of thoughts on the matter. First, I think my right to know what is in the food I eat trumps the right of these companies to make a profit on my ignorance. Second, the whole argument about the "prohibitive" costs of changing their labels is a crock. They change their labels often just for esthetic reasons, to give the impression that the product is "new and improved," to trumpet that they were getting in on the consumer demand for salt (or fat or sugar) free products, or for what ever reason their marketing divisions think appropriate. Why should the cost of complying with the law be more onerous than any other label change? Third, I read the text of the Vermont law and it merely requires the company to put a line on their label that says the product "contains," "probably contains," or "may contain" genetic engineered components.

No comments: