Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Good soggy Monday to you all.  We had some heavy rain over night--about an inch and a quarter.  Everything in the gardens have come through well including the stevia and bee balm seedlings I moved out of the little greenhouse yesterday.  The summer savory looked a bit more beaten up.  Hopefully it will recover.  I got the greenhouse and the shed cleaned up yesterday.  For a good while we collected plastic food containers--cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.--that made nice starting planters.  I finally trashed most of them because I have accumulated a nice collection of transplant pots from the nurseries along with the plants.  As long as they are still useable I will use them and each season I will get some new ones.  I will always try new plants for a season--or more.  This year I actually got fewer new pots this year.  All the tomatoes and peppers are completely home grown.  First time I haven't had to get transplants.
*******************************************************************************

It is now a bright and sunny Tuesday.  We went to the last of the gardening classes our parks department had scheduled.  They don't have any more scheduled.  I guess because gardening from now on will be maintenance and harvesting.  The classes were aimed at beginners so much of the information wasn't new to us.  However, we did get some good ideas and reminders of things we should be doing but haven't been.

I don't know how many stories I have seen bemoaning the rapid rise in costs of medical care.  This story illustrates one of the contributing factors.  We'll always have these kinds of criminals but I often feel that our current political/social/judicial systems are tailor made to allow these human weeds to flourish.

Ezra Klein had a snippet on his Wonkbook and a link to a Washington Post survey that rather supports some of my thoughts on the "scandal" over NSA collection of phone data. Some 56% of Americans don't see anything wrong with the broad collection of data not related to specific incidents or people.  It doesn't surprise me.  How often have we seen interviews with "ordinary" Americans concerning restrictions on their movements, intrusive searches at airports (and the push to expand those searches to other modes of transportation, or secret courts approving secret demands for information.  It is sold as an effective way to combat "terrorism" and too many of us have swallowed the line.  I have said before that we don't have any recognizable privacy any more and no right to privacy.  We have to start acting accordingly.

No comments: