Saturday, September 21, 2013

Last Saturday of summer. Stewing tomatoes.

Tomorrow is the Autumnal equinox.  In other words, Fall begins and things are winding down for my gardens.  I have toyed with the idea of shifting to cool weather plants but haven't done anything about it--yet.  We may get dried out today.  It sprinkled on us yesterday but didn't give us much more moisture.  Right now I am waiting for the sun to come up and give me enough light to see what is out in the gardens.

I collected a bunch of tomatoes so far--on Amish paste and about a quart of cherry.  They are all in the pot along with those I collected over the last few days.  The Amish paste was hiding in the middle of the neighboring tansy.  I only saw it when the wind blew the leaves around and I caught a flash of red in the middle of the green.  I have been debating what to do with the tomato vines gone wild and decided to reduce some of the weight by lopping off the new growth, especially the branches that are trying to bloom.  It is way too late for that.  For the rest I will wait until a bit after Oct. 5 to cut more or remove plants.  We will busy for the next couple of weeks so I can delay dealing with the tomatoes.  The average first frost here comes mid October so there isn't much need to hurry on that point.

I noted the wind above.  It is cold and heavy.  I may do some more but I will wait till it warms a bit.  My basil plants are looking very ragged so they will come out providing room for several strawberries which will be sunk in the container in their present pots.  Looking out right now I notice that the sun is only about four inches below the height of the fence now.  In another couple of days my gardens won't get any direct sun except for the very corners very early or very late in the day.

Mom and I paid a visit to the local Target.  Mom needed to get her prescription for new glasses filled.  On our way to the optical department we passed a refrigerated display that held what looked like rolls of sausage or ground beef.  It turned out to be pet food.  That seems to be a new trend now--feeding fresh rather than canned or dry.  Mom remarked that if we still had pets that would be the way we would go.  I replied that I might actually consider preparing pet food at home.  This is why.  As well as the e. coli outbreaks.  And the melamine contamination from a couple of years ago.

I shouldn't be amazed at the level of hypocrisy the Repthuglicans show every chance they get.  It seems that we shouldn't give federal aid to people (or states) because it creates dependency.  Unless of course it is their kind of people and their states.  Somehow the laws of human nature they cite doesn't apply to them or theirs.

Another fake meat scandal in China.  I am too busy throwing up to comment.

No comments: