Monday, September 2, 2013

Monday, Monday. Blueberry experiment.

We expect a comfortable Monday--dry and cool.  As usual for Mondays we are planning our errands for the week.  I should have enough tomatoes tomorrow to do another batch of stewed tomatoes for the freezer.  So far we have almost six pounds done and frozen.  It doesn't sound like much but that doesn't include what we have eaten and what is still on the vines.  And I don't have a lot of room.

I found a web site yesterday that suggested using a dilute vinegar solution to lower the pH in my blueberry pot.  I figure I don't have anything to lose and tried it out.  It did lower the pH nicely to just above the range blueberries find comfortable.  I don't know if it will bring back the bush or if it will survive the winter in its weakened condition.  We'll see.  But that whole thing has me thinking about the house plants.  I will be checking the pH on them more closely.  I think they might benefit from an even more dilute treatment--smaller pots.

No comments: