Thursday, August 29, 2013

Foggy Thursday. Lazy gardening day. Lemon balm. Bees, hummingbirds, goldfinches.

I don't know how much I will get done in the gardens today.  I will wait to gather anything until the fog lifts.  I do have tomatoes to stew--not many but I would rather do a small batch than loose the very ripe ones.  I think I saw a Super Sauce ready to pick.  I hadn't planned on it but I got the lemon balm volunteers repotted and brought inside.  All of the rosemary, lavender, and bay are fine--didn't need to water.  I thought the lemon thyme should also be pulled from the gardens and put in a pot for winter.  It is looking a bit ragged--too much shade for it and maybe too much competition from the sage.  And I should make a decision soon on whether I want to take cuttings from the mints.  The bees are very active as are the hummingbirds (and yes we have at least 3 visiting frequently) and goldfinches.  They all appear to be stoking up for winter.  do they know something we don't.

This story appeared on one of our news programs last night.  The anchor asked the same question we have here for some time: why are guys paid so much for so little?  I know the theory.  We hear it often.  To get top talent in this market they have to pay top rates.  However, I wonder what the criteria for judging "top talent."  Those benchmarks are far from obvious.

No comments: