Monday, August 19, 2013

Lazy Sunday. Busy Monday.

I won't be doing too much today.  On a whim I transplanted the peppermint plant that rooted from the mother plant a bit earlier.  I have one and maybe two slicing tomatoes to collect and maybe a handful of cherry.  The weather should be a bit above normal this week so we plan at least one supper of chef salad.  I think the largest of the cucumber will be ready this week.  I will do them up as the spicy freezer cucumbers later in the week.  I need to do up iced tea for the week a bit later.

Hey, Kay.  Good luck with your kvetching and hope they do have answers for you.  This has been a strange year in a long string of strange years and the weather seems to affect my moods more than it has in the past.  I try to enjoy the nice weather when we have it.

I said it was going to be a lazy Sunday but I have managed to get a bit done.  Found three ripe slicers and a handful of cherry tomatoes.  Also found three more nice cucumbers so Wednesday I will do up the freezer cucumbers.  Did a little bit of pruning on tomatoes and cucumber vines.  I also checked my last attempt to root new strawberry plants.  Very disappointing results.  I have decided to try something else.  I have a number of small pots and have anchored the plantlets still attached to the mother plant in them.  If that works out well I will do something similar next year.
********************************************************************************

I didn't see much I wanted to comment on yesterday and we have a long list of errands to do today so I don't know how much I will get to today.  We'll see.

The news last night showed some dramatic pictures from the eruption in Japan of Sakurajima.  They didn't say that the volcano has erupted 500 times (including this last one) this year so far.

The only way anyone will ever know if the computer system failure federal meat inspectors now rely on let contaminated meat into the market will be if consumers of the meat that got through during the failure become ill and the illness is traced to the meat.  Doesn't do much for my confidence in our industrialized food processing system?  How about you?

The Marine Corps officer quoted in this piece says "We're building an army over here and I can't believe that people aren't seeing it.  Is everybody blind?"  No, we're not all blind.  We, here, have been watching this since 9/11 and are scared shitless about it.  But we can't do anything about it.  The process has proceeded under both Repthuglican and Damnocrat administrations.  And all too many people over here seem to have forgotten Ben Franklin's words:  Those who would trade security for freedom will deserve neither security nor freedom.  And, I would add, will have neither.  Furthermore, I have my own question: who scares you most--small groups of disgruntled assholes trying to come in from elsewhere or an increasingly repressive political regime (at all levels) over here?

No comments: